Followers

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Crimson Romance

Crimson Romance
For the best in romance, from sweet to naughty!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Firespell, A Novel of the Dark Elite by Chloe Neill

Publisher: Signet Books/New American Library/Penguin Group
Pages: 246

From the Cover: When Lily’s guardians decided to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she was shocked. So was St. Sophia’s. Lily’s ultra-rich brat pack classmates think Lily should be the punchline to every joke, and on top of that, she’s hearing strange noises and seeing bizarre things in the shadows of the creepy building.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout’s a little weird—she keeps disappearing late at night and won’t tell Lily where she’s been. But when a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout running from a real monster.

Scout’s a member of a splinter group of rebel teens with unique magical talents, who’ve sworn to protect the city against demons, vampires, and Reapers, magic users who’ve been corrupted by their power. And when Lily finds herself in the line of a firespell, Scout tells her the truth about her secret life, even though Lily has no powers of her own—at least none that she’s discovered yet…

Lily finds herself thousands of miles away from the parents, currently sabbatically in Germany where they hope to peruse ancient philosophical documents. Thrown into the Windy City, known as Chicago, she has to adapt to her new surroundings. St. Sophia's Prep School for Girls, where she an outsider from Sagamore, NY and maybe not all that wanted. She's a junior in high school and has to start all over making friends and connections that are unfamiliar to her. And Chicago is nothing like Sagamore.

Scout, her suitemate and hopefully her new BFF, shows her around, giving her the nickel tour of the school and the Second City. But what lurks beneath the city is what holds Scout's attention, and all to soon, Lily's as well. There are really monsters and most are in human form. Evil denizens that want nothing more than siphon away what the others have, power. Magically power. Lily with her new found family of Adepts will have to confront things that have never been known to her before, if they can stay in one piece.

Firespell by Chloe Neill was a very fast fun YA read. I love books about magic, where is comes from and how it's used. Chloe Neill offers a new take on magic and how it happens to be born within the soul, and when it needs to be given away. Our unwilling heroine, Lily Parker, finds herself thrown into a world not of her own making, but since she's there, she's going to make the most of her situation. She's strong, positive or as positive as a teenage girl can be at a new school with strangers for friends, and she has no idea what she's in for. After befriending Scout, the mysterious girl with nightly errands, Lily has her eyes opened about more than just St. Sophia's and life of a 'regular' (a non-magical person). Jason, Lily's would be hero, is more than he's appears to be as well with his glowing sapphire eyes and wicked smile, but then there's the enigmatic Sebastian, one of the would be bad guys (one of the Reapers - a vampiric type of witch who as they age, need to sustain their power by drawing energy from others, human or witch a like), can see Lily's power and encourages it's use. But is Sebastian what he appears to be? He fights along side the evil denizens, but helps Lily when she needs it most and no one but Lily knows. How he comes to figure into the later storylines, this reader will be interested to know.

Firespell by Chloe Neill is a little reminiscent of the House of Night Series, but not too much, which I have seen it compared to. I think the resemblance begins and ends with Lily being sent to a prep house that isn't exactly what it appears to be. If you enjoy House of Night or Dead is the New Black Series, you'll enjoy this new series as well. I had fun with this little pager turner that demanded to be read, I certainly had trouble putting it down. If you're looking for a new YA series for the new year, trying Firespell, A Novel of the Dark Elite Series. I can't wait for the next in this new series. I recommend this book for lovers of YA, magic, mystery, and mayhem. I had fun with it.

I bought this book for my own enjoyment. Thanks Chloe Neill for a great read.

22 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

Hey Dottie,

How are you? I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I have it on my wish list and I'm looking forward to reading it. Great review!!

M

Blodeuedd said...

I never know about YA so this could be great or one of those of my too many ok books. But so wroth a try :)

Tricia said...

Hey Dottie!I keep seeing this one around and I do love YA. I'll try to pick it up soon. Nice Review!

VampFanGirl said...

Thanks for the great review Dottie!

I'm a big fan of Chloe's Chicagoland vampire series and what you've said about her new YA has me seriously intrigued.

Hugs, VFG

Anna said...

Hi Dottie, great review. I enjoyed this one too. :)

Anonymous said...

Great review Dottie. I think I will add this to my TBB list for my YA blog.

:o)

MsM

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Oh Dottie, what a great review. I know you love Chloe's work and I am glad that it continues.
Hope all is well my friend!

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle!

I'm doing pretty good. I found this book on a Walmart visit, much to my surprise, I didn't even know it had been released until Donna posted it on her blog. I hope you get a chance to try it. Thanks!

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi B!

Have you tried the House of Night Series, if you liked it, then you'll like this new series too. I was a little page turner for me. I only bought it 2 days ago, and finished it right away.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Tricia!

If you enjoy YA, then you'll like this series. Chloe Neill is a relatively new author on the scene, she also does the Chicagoland Vampire Series.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi VFG!

I haven't gotten to Some Girls Bite yet, but I plan on reading it next week (hopefully). So many books, so little time, but after reading this one, I'm yearning for more.

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Anna!

I'm glad you liked it, I was looking for a new YA series, and I think I found it. Can't wait for the next in the series.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ms M!

I think you like this one and it's perfect for your new blog. Hope you get to try it and enjoy a new YA series.

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Cecile!

This one was pretty good and it's a new series, so I can't wait for her to write more.

I doing pretty good, busy, but glad the kids are back in school. How are you doing??

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Donna said...

I just finished reading this one. I liked it and I'm passing it on to my stepdaughter to read.

I'm starting to read more YA myself. Just wish there was the YA selection today when I was a lot younger.

Unknown said...

Hi Donna!

I thought this was the excellent start to what might be a great YA series. My copy is currently circulating on my daughter's tumbling team, as all of my YA seems to do. I try to keep track of who has what and when it's supposed to come back.

I wish that the selection of YA would have been better when I was a kid too, I read way too many Barbara Cartland books in my need to feed the reading addiction. LOL!!

Dottie :)

Lea said...

Great review as always Dottie!

This sounds like a really great read. Cool YA novel, thanks for sharing.

Best
L

Unknown said...

Hi Lea!

It's my first YA of 2010, and it was a really good start!

Thanks Lea!

Dottie :)

Christine said...

Thanks for the review, Dottie. I put this one on my library list the other day. Now I just have to wait for my library to get it. LOL.

Unknown said...

Hi Christine!

I picked my copy up at Walmart, my sister wants to borrow it too. I thinks it's going to be making the rounds.

Hope your library gets it soon, ours doesn't have a copy.

Dottie :)

Christine said...

Hi Dottie,
As of right now, my library doesn't have it. But they're sometimes slow in getting in new releases. I have quite a few books lined up to read for now, so I may just wait a while and see if they get it. If not, I'll buy it. Thanks for the tip about it being available at Walmart. I'll keep that in mind! ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Christine!

Our library just started a YA section, after multiple urgings on my part, and they've been buying most of the books that I have requested. I guess it helped that I took some of my YA collection that I had and donated it to the library, lol. So glad they realized that this is a popular genre.

Dottie :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Go ahead, leave a comment, you know you really want to!! ^~^

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2008-2011 Tink's Place All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP