Followers

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Crimson Romance

Crimson Romance
For the best in romance, from sweet to naughty!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reviewette: Demon's Delight --- The Angel and The Hellraiser --- by Vickie Taylor

Publisher: Berkley Publishing Group
Pages: 241 - 314

From the Cover: Zane is hell-bent on danger --- the more he eludes death, the bigger the rush. Then he awakens from a near-drowning not only alive, but in the caring arms of a beautiful angel. But the ethereal Rosemary is driven by her own desires --- and full of surprises....

Only months to live, full throttle life, the only way to live, all out and full of danger.

Angel of death, moving souls from one existence to the next, no comparison to human existence.

Zane Halvorson lives life as he always has, full throttle, all the way to the edge and back again. First in the army, and now as a civilian; a dramatic stunt aviator. That means he jumps from flying planes, with or without parachutes, or maybe takes a walk on the wing. Zane doesn't have a death wish, he just wants to spend every minute he has making life count the most, and the count is getting higher.

Rosemary D'Amica is a reporter with the Times. But in another incarnation, she is the angel of death, waiting for the souls of the dying to move to the next plane of existence. Now she has a body, a mind, a soul, and a heart. What she needs to know is why, why has she take the form and memories of a woman. She usually waits for the soul to need her, but not this time, now she is stuck inside this confining human form being forced to feel a human's existence.

Zane may have gone one time to far, as he watches his parachute ignite. Well, this is as good a way to go as any. He only wishes he had more time; time for love, life, laughter; time to live.

Rosemary watches Zane fall to Earth and into the lake, first in angelic form and now in human form, and she realizes she is meant to save Zane, this time. As she gives him CPR, his body sputters back to life, opening his eyes to look into hers, almost as if he can see into her soul; guardian angel.

He's crazy, she thinks, he's trying to kill himself. Zane assures her that he's not crazy, just living life full out, the way it was meant to be. There are two kinds of people in the world, the doers and the thinkers. Zane is definitely a doer, he plans each stunt in detail for the best possible outcome, to walk away alive. Rosemary has serious doubts about his planning process, but begins to see life the way Zane does. When she talks to her boss, St. Peter (bar owner extraordinaire), he tells her that maybe Zane isn't the only soul that needs saving, to search her humanity for the answers her heart and soul desire.

Rosemary is like a newborn being born into an adult life. She knows about life, but has never actually lived it. Now, it's time for her to live. For once, she's not the guide, but the guided. Zane is her guide, a guide to living life to it's fullest. As Rosemary and Zane grow closer, the next natural step in their relationship must occur; Rosemary needs to feel Zane's life breathing through her body. Rosemary has to trust Zane enough to love him and to be loved; and Zane must give her that piece that is missing from both of their lives, love. Zane is dying, as we all are, and no one or thing can save him, not even his guardian angel, Rosemary. Now Rosemary has something else to worry her. Trey, an angel of darkness has joined Zane's airshow and he also wants to guide Zane's soul. But to a different dimension, one of darkness and destruction.

The Angel and The Hellraiser by Vickie Taylor was a beautiful story of life and love. I was in love with Zane's robust, feisty nature after the first page. He meets life head on, no holds barred. Zane is a hero who at first blush, looks like he might be tired of life, but in reality, it's just the opposite. He lives life to the fullest because he never knows when it's going to end. He doesn't want to miss a moment. Rosemary, the angel of death, has been an angel for so long that she has forgotten what life is about. She doesn't understand Zane's zest for life. The angelic plane is so much better in so many ways. She has lost the ability to feel, to live and breathe, and has forgotten the pleasure that a simple sunset or sunrise can bring. This is what Zane has to teach Rosemary in what time he has left. Rosemary needs to learn how to love another being. She is a heroine that needs to learn what life can only teach, how to live, she needs to learn to fight for what her heart desires. She has an unique scrappiness that holds Zane's fiery attention, and she doesn't let go. She is given a chance to help Zane and herself find true love, maybe the only love of their lives. I have to say that I cried through the last two chapters of this novella. I cried for Zane's life and the Rosemary's loss, my heart breaking for their time together and apart. It was one of the best short stories I have ever read. I highly recommend this novella for readers who love romance and full throttle living. I picked up this novel on the recommendation of Vickie Taylor, she thought I might like it. She was wrong, I loved it. For more information about all of Vickie Taylor great books, please visit her website. She's been away from writing for a while, but she's back now full time. The third book of her Les Gargouillen (Gargoyles) Series is in production and The Doctor's Watch, a Silhouette Romantic Suspense, will be released in January 2010 (start looking for it around the end of December).

10 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Sounds interesting, this anthology just makes me more and more into it. And i am actually not a fan of short stories.

Lea said...

Thank you for the wonderful review Dottie! This sounds like an excellent anthology. I love the cover art too. :)

I noticed the cover for "Blood Ties" in your sidebar. I didn't realize they were finally releasing it in DVD. I liked Tanya Huff's books better but the show wasn't bad.

Did you watch it?

I need to e-mail you later about something. :)

Warm Regards
L

Unknown said...

Hi Blodeuedd!

I hope you get a chance to try it, it was just a really good novel. Vickie Taylor's novella was so sweet; it was really endearing. I loved it. I will say it's hard to find, try your library. I wasn't a fan of short stories either, I like all the twists and turns that a novel can take. But, I have to say, I've been getting to 'try out' a bunch of new authors that I don't know if I'd try without reading the short stories. This was a really good one too.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Lea!

This novel was really one of the best anthologies I've ever read. I loved it. Vickie Taylor recommended it, I'm glad she did. I thought the cover art was amazing.

I love, love, love Blood Ties. You really should enter the contest for it. It might work in Canada (the copy is a region 2, does that work there?) I haven't read the Blood Ties books, but mostly because I haven't had time yet. They're in my TBR stack (actually the TBR is slowly taking over my house..lol)

I'll look for your e-mail.

(hugs)

Dottie :)

SciFiGuy said...

What a terrific review Dottie. I must say I have added this book to my next Amazon order just for this story. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Doug!

It's such a good book, I know you'll enjoy it. MJD's novella and Vickie Taylor novella made the whole book for me. If you can't tell, I loved it.

Thanks Doug!

Dottie :)

Caffey said...

I was just thinking about Vickie's Gargoyle books and wondered when more would be out and I saw the updates on her blog. Its great she's back!

I have this anthology but didn't read it yet, now I'll change that. I've been shuffling my books to read since visiting here with you and the readers, LOL. Great blog and posts! Have a great weekend too!

Unknown said...

Hi Caffey!

I think Vickie Taylor is a great author, I'm so glad we have her voice back.

Thanks, Tink's my babe, I love her. And usually, I just write my opinion in my posts.

You have a great weekend too Caffey and stop back by. The more the merrier!

Dottie :)

Anonymous said...

Great review Dottie! I haven't heard of Vicki Taylor but I have heard of Emma Holly. Vicki's story sounds wonderful. Did you enjoy the others in the book as well?

And I agree with Lea, the cover is beautiful.

BTW, if I either of us is not online over the weekend have a wonderful relaxing holiday!

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara!

I enjoyed the entire anthology. I picked it up because Vickie Taylor left me a comment saying she thought I might like it. It was great, I loved it. The cover art is fantastic, I agree with you and Lea.

Vickie Taylor writes contemporary romance through the Harlequin Silhouette line (romantic suspense) and paranormal romance in her Gargoyle Series, which I'm trying to find. Amazon has some used copies and might be the only way to get them. I even tried the library, but no luck. I'd not read her until the BITE anthology, but her story there was amazing and this novella was even better.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend Barbara, I'll probably be around part of the time, we're supposed to have rain. Hope not, but it'll probably happen. Rains most Memorial Days in Illinois. It's been beautiful the past two day though, so I'm not going to complain to loud.

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Go ahead, leave a comment, you know you really want to!! ^~^

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2008-2011 Tink's Place All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP