Followers

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Crimson Romance

Crimson Romance
For the best in romance, from sweet to naughty!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake

Publisher: EOS Books / Harper Collins Publishing
Pages: 370



From the Cover: For centuries Mira has been a nightwalker -- an unstoppable enforcer for a mysterious organization that manipulates earth-shaking events from the darkest shadows. But elemental mastery over fire sets her apart from others of her night-prowling breed.........and may be all that prevents her doom.

The foe she now faces is human: the vampire hunter called Danaus, who has already destroyed so many undead. For Mira, the time has come to hunt.......or be hunted.

Mira is a 600 hundred year old vampire, merely an infant compared to some, but a controller of one of the vampire's deadliest enemies. She is a fire starter. There is no coming back from flames. Her territory is the Savannah, where she is master. Who is this human, this hunter that has entered her territory. So far he has slain at least two of the fledglings. They were new without a master vampire to help them, but not her problem. The one called Riley she was going to kill anyway because of his tendency to increase his family like it was his territory.

Danaus is a hunter, a killer of the Nosferatu -- the undead or vampire. He belongs to the Brotherhood, the keepers of the holy, working for the greater good. Why doesn't he carry a silver cross? He's already damned, no one or thing can protect him. He has been stalking Mira, trying to draw her out. Well tonight he has succeeded.......

As Mira and Danaus face off in an abandoned house, Mira realizes this is no ordinary human, he may not be human at all. Who is this Danaus and what does he want in her territory? As they struggle against one another, Danaus reveals he has not come to destroy Mira, but to gain information. Mira suspects if she lets him live, he will prove to be her nightmare, but Danaus, whatever he is, is very strong and she has been weakened. She should destroy him here and now, but then she'll never know what brought him into her territory.

Mira and Danaus meet again, this time in a crowded lycanthrope bar. He's still pushing for information. What type of information? If he desires Mira's information, he will have to accept her assistance. His gut says to kill her, but can he afford to? The decision is made, he is seeking information about the naturi; guardians of the Earth, the Third Race, known as the Seeley Court, Sidhe or Fae.

Mira has no love for the naturi; they are no guardians. They would destroy both humans and vampires, to take over the Earth for themselves. Mira was held captive by the naturi; a fate she has no wish to repeat. The naturi hold magical weapons, ones that can be used to torture the vampire, cause extreme pain before death is delivered. If it hadn't been for the Triad all those long years ago, Mira's existence would have ended. They are dead, only a fairy tale now. Why would Danaus seek information about them?

Danaus has information of the naturi's return. He has seen them, has one held captive. Mira must see with her own eyes this naturi...if he is naturi. And if he is naturi, then the Earth is in trouble because they are truly a wicked force, one that must be dealt with if humans and vampires are to exist.......

This is just a small taste of Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake. It is an amazingly well told story of the vampire existence. Ms. Drake weaves a world where magic exists, where vampire and lycanthropes walk with humans without their knowledge. Where the naturi or fae are violently evil, a blight against all the mankind holds dear, their very lives. As I began my stroll through the world of Nightwalker, I was gripped by Mira's ability to see the humanity she has lost. Danaus is an unknown factor, I was left wondering what he was. Danaus feels lost, his humanity lost, but he wishes he could regain it. He is heartsick with the loss. He feels a tenderness towards Mira. He is beyond being human and appears to be centuries old, as well as the Brotherhood that he serves. Mira and Danaus are drawn to each other, the hunter and the hunted, but which is which. Will they kill each other and become joined as one against a force that neither one can allow to win.

Nightwalker was one of my top picks for 2008. It was an excellent read, which I have re-read since and I highly recommend this book for all urban fantasy/paranormal lovers. It is my personal opinion that Jocelynn Drake is one of the best new writers of fantasy that the genre is producing. Her books are fascinating for the imagination. Well worth reading.

From the Cover: A new day dawns blood red....... A master of fire, Mira is the last hope for the world. For centuries she has secretly enforced the history-altering edicts of the Triad. Now she and her unlikely ally - the human vampire hunter, Danaus—have come to Venice, home of the nightwalker rulers. But there is no safety in the ancient city......

I am waiting the release of Dayhunter, Book Two in the Dark Days Series which will be released in five short days, 4-28-09. Ms. Drake will also be releasing the third book in the series, Dawnbreaker, Book Three in the Dark Days Series on 9-29-09. Ms. Drake will be releasing an anthology, Unbound on 8-25-09 with fellow authors Kim Harrison, Vicki Pettersson, Melissa Marr, and Jeanine Frost as well.
(all images and blurbs can be found at Harper Collins.)

Jocelynn Drake talks about Book Two of the Dark Days Series, Dayhunter.



To read an excellent review of Dayhunter, Book Two of the Dark Days Series, please see SciFiGuy.ca.

Also, I had like to give a shout out to Marta @ Vampire Wire for the linkage.
Thanks Marta!!

26 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I like the sund of this series :)
And that 3rd race, wnana know more about them too.
Thanks for this :)

Unknown said...

Hi Blodeuedd!

It's one of the best series that a new author has put out. It was definitely an excellent read. Definitely urban fantasy/paranormal with a strong attraction between Mira and Danaus, waiting to see what happens with that in Dayhunter.

Dottie :)

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

I saw the "pimp" at Vampire Wire!!! I was so proud of you!!! Nice intro to a new author!!!
Thanks Dottie!!

VampFanGirl said...

Hey Dottie! Fantastic Review!

I've read a lot of differing opinions on this new series. A lot of love/hate kinda thing.

But the novel still sounds interesting. The only thing holding me back is the lack of serious romance. I think I'll wait and see what everyone thinks after the second book releases.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Happy BDB Week!
:) VFG

VampFanGirl said...

Oh and thank you for posting the super cool widget that Barbara designed for my BDB week!

(((((((giant hugs)))))))

:) VFG

Unknown said...

Hi Cecile!

I know, I kept seeing people coming over from Vampire Wire, so hopped on over to see, and she had linked by blog!!! So excited that she took the time to even look. That's series I should have put on VFG comment, The Casa Dracula Series by Marta Acosta, excellent series!

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi VFG!

Isn't Barbara sweet!! I saw it on her site and decided I just had to have it on mine too! It's such a hot little widget!

If want to read a really good review, SciFiGuy has an excellent review of both books. I, unfortunately, did not getting an ARC.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

I forgot VFG!

I am getting an ARC of Faeries Gone Wild after Michele Hauf checked out the link on my site to her contest The Ultimate VampList. You've got to check this out, she's going to giveaway a whole bunch of vampire novels as prizes. You can follow the link from my site or http://dustedbywhimsy.blogspot.com/2009/04/ultimate-vamplist-stats-and-contest.html copy and paste to go directly.

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Anonymous said...

Dottie, do these books have romance? They sound good, but you know me and my romance, lol!

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara!

There's a lot of needing and wanting, heavy breathing, but NO SEX!

It was the one thing I would have liked to see, but it wasn't there.

Still was an excellent read. Maybe in Book Two. I hope. Mira and Danaus really had a lot of dynamics going on. I let you know about Dayhunter as soon as get it. It's supposed to be coming free, so I hate to buy it, but if I can't wait, I'll buy!

Dottie :)

Blanche said...

Hi Dottie!!

Great view, this sounds like a really good series!!:)

Unknown said...

Hi Blanche!

How are you doing sweetie?

It was an excellent book! But true urban fantasy.

(hugs)

Dottie :)

Desert Rose said...

Sounds interesting.. great review :)

Anyways I was passing through to let you know you have an award waiting.. please pick it up here :)

http://desertrosebooklogue.blogspot.com/2009/04/zombie-chicken-award-2.html

VampFanGirl said...

Thanks Dottie! I'm off to check out Michelle Hauf's site now!

Oh, and congrats on the ARC!

((hugs)) VFG

Unknown said...

Hi DeSeRt RoSe!

Thanks for stopping by and following!!

Aww! I love awards!! *grin*

(hugs)

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi VFG!!

Lovin' that contest!!

Michele's site is awesome, I think you'll love the contest!

(((hugs)))

Dottie :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the books Dottie. Who knows, maybe I'll like them. I'm so wierd with venturing out of romance, lol.

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara!

Nah, you just know what you like, me, I love it all, (well, except for those really boring books that is, but fortunately, there isn't too many of those!)

(hugs)

Dottie :)

Teddyree said...

New follower to your blog & I absolutely adore it. Love, love, love all the Tinkerbell pics. I love Tinkerbell & Eeyeore (random I know)
What an awesome review, I haven't read anything by Jocelynn Drake but you've inspired me to find out more! I have a paranormal/urban fantasy addiction this year LOL

Unknown said...

Hi Teddyree!

Thanks for stopping by and following!

Jocelynn Drake is one of my favorite authors. She is also very new, Nightwalk was her first novel. It was such a success, that EOS offered her another 5 books, plus the anthology.

If you can't tell, I have a slight addiction to Tink, she's my babe!
I also love almost anything Disney. I have fun decorating with Tink and there's always plenty of graphics available.

I'll stop by your blog and check it out!

(hugs)

Dottie

Cassandra said...

Ooh, me likey. Thanks for posting.
But where is your Thursday 13, girl?

Ours is at: http://midnightmooncafe.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Cassandra!

Hmmm, the Thursday 13, haven't decided yet. lolol.

Dottie

Ladytink_534 said...

Well I love a good vampire story! I need to go see if my library has this one, thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi LadyTink!

There's a giveaway for Nightwalker and Dayhunter over a Darque Reviews if you'd like to enter! It ends on the 28th, so go take a peek.

Happy Reading!

Dottie :)

Lea said...

Hey Dottie:

Awesome review and post!

This sounds like my kind of series and I am definitely adding Ms. Drake's books to my list!

Thank you, they sound awesome!!

Warm Regards
L

Unknown said...

Hi Lea!

Nice to have you back! Hope work was better today! I had one appointment after another, so no time today. I need to stop and rest for a bit. Another long day!

I hope you like Jocelynn Drake, I loved her first book, waiting for the second.

Dottie:)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Go ahead, leave a comment, you know you really want to!! ^~^

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2008-2011 Tink's Place All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP