Followers

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Crimson Romance

Crimson Romance
For the best in romance, from sweet to naughty!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Reviewette: Bite Anthology --- Blood Lust --- Vickie Taylor

Publisher: Jove Publishing
Pages: 221-297

From the Cover: The bite is back in vampire fiction.....

Daniel Hart is a research scientist that has made an amazing discovery....if only he lives long enough to share it with the world......

Daniel Hart has been doing research in Atlanta with a blood substitute. One that can be used to help with blood loss during surgery, accident, or injury. It is a large step forward for man.....what he doesn't know is the person supporting his research doesn't want to share it with the world, but keep it for himself. Little does he know that his most ardent supporter is none other than the Vampire Enforcer, Garth LaGrange, enforcer of the law for the Vampire Queen.

Garth has supported this pathetic human long enough. Finally, the blood substitute has been developed and he no longer need this swiveling excuse for humanity. He has been waiting centuries for this discovery. Time to dispose of the unwanted waste as he begins to destroy Daniel Hart's mind, body, and life. As Daniel fiancee sashays into to the room to pour herself across Garth's body, giving him neck, Daniel watches as Sue Ellen succumbs to the power Garth LaGrange or so he thinks.....

Now, months later with rehab and healing, Daniel Hart is on the prowl. He's looking to get even with Garth, to become like him, to become vampire.

Blood Lust....it's all Deadre Rue can feel, it's been so long since her thirst has been quenched. The Queen and the Enforcer won't allow it, and after being burned once, she won't be quenching it again anytime soon. When Daniel comes on to her, she is suspicious. What does Daniel want? Is he a vampire groupie, terminally ill, mentally imbalanced? Why would he want to be vampire?

Daniel only has one answer. Revenge. He needs to kill Garth and free Sue Ellen. To do this, he will go to any lengths, even kidnapping a vampire. When Deadre comes to her senses, it's late - almost dawn. Doesn't he know the sun will kill her, maybe she should let it happen. Daniel wants to let her go, but not until she has made him one of the undead. She can't, it is forbidden. To do so would be to consign herself to the sun.

As the dawn begins to break, Deadre is helpless to stop the pain. As she begins to burn, Daniel panics, frees her, and takes her to his grandparents property where a cellar waits. He slips them into the damp darkness and offers his blood to repair her body. Deadre has so long been denied that once she starts to feed, she losses her head and nearly drains his body. With no choices left, she gives him her blood, making him vampire as he wished.

When Daniel wakes the next night, it is to find a remorseful Deadre and a new vampire. He immediately wants to confront Garth, but he is a baby; he needs to gain strength. But with new blood substitute, he can gain the strength he needs quickly.

Back in Atlanta at Daniel's lab, a secret stockpile of synthetic blood awaits. Daniel and Deadre drink their fill and explore the wonders of vampirism together, loving and laughing, high on the rush of synthetic blood. Daniel knows that he loved Sue Ellen at one time, but now only Deadre occupies his thoughts. As they sneak into Daniel's house that Garth has stolen, they find many vampires starving. Garth believes Daniel to be the weak human that he almost killed. But Daniel is strong, too strong with synthetic blood. He kills Garth as he attempts to torture Deadre. Sue Ellen calls to him, but as Deadre sees Sue Ellen, she realizes that she is actually the Queen, trying to use Daniel. Daniel sees past the guise and burns Sue Ellen. He promises all the vampires steady meals of synthetic blood, freeing the vampires of the monstrous existence and the need to prey on humans.

Blood Lust by Vickie Taylor was a great little read. This short could have well been a book! This was the last short in the anthology, Bite. It was so amazingly good, a real page turner. Daniel is a hero who is torn between wanting to avenge himself and Sue Ellen that he is ready to become the unthinkable, vampire. After he frees Sue Ellen and eliminates Garth, he has every intention of killing himself. But as Deadre works her way into his undead heart, he rather be vampire than give up having Deadre. Deadre is a heroine that has grown tired of her existence, tired of denying her thirst, tired of her undead life until she meets Daniel. As the ever thoughtful Daniel gets under her skin, she realizes what has been missing in her undead life. Companionship, love, and the beauty of a new night seen through eyes of another. I loved these two characters, both hopeless but gaining strength, life, and love from each other. Vickie Taylor (Vickie Spears) is another new author for me, but this will not be her last story that I read. This short was a very fast fun read and I enjoyed it immensely. For information about other books by Vickie Taylor, please visit her website.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful job you did with this review, Dottie. Vickie Taylor's story sounds great and I'm happy you enjoyed these two characters so much :)

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara!

This was just a really great short.

I would have loved to have seen this as a book, with all the plot twists and turns only a novel can provide.

Thanks Barbara!

Dottie :)

Blodeuedd said...

Morning Dottie :)
This sure seems like a great anthology :D
Nice review

Unknown said...

Hi Blodeuedd!

It really was a good anthology. I really enjoyed reading it. I'm don't a real big fan of short stories, but now I think I'll probably read more of them.

Dottie :)

Lea said...

Another wonderful "reviewette", Dottie!

I'm so happy you enjoyed the story so much.

Warm Regards
L

Unknown said...

Hi Lea!

It was such a good book! Most of it was just fun reading. And the stories read so quickly.

Dottie :)

Blodeuedd said...

I am not that big a fan of short stories either, they end to quickly. But gotta try more sometimes :)

Unknown said...

Hi Blodeuedd!

I know, I like a plot that is more well developed than a short story can usually allow.

But, this anthology was pretty good overall. The story I liked least was by the author that I liked most, she just didn't have enough space to develop the story.

Dottie :)

VampFanGirl said...

Hey Dottie!

I've left two previous comments and they keep getting erased!! Grrr.

So for the third time: I love the reviewettes!

Thanks for all the wonderful reviews and recommendations!!

Have a great weekend!

:) VFG

Unknown said...

Hi VFG!

Blogger is all screwed up, I haven't been able to get on anyone's blogs this whole freaking morning!!!

Some weird error message and when I went to help center...everyone is having the same problem!

Thanks so stopping by! I love the reviewette, so quick to do.

Hope blogger is better soon.

Dottie :)

Ladytink_534 said...

She's the only person of this anthology I never did check out but I remember liking this story.

Unknown said...

Hi LadyTink!

I've been on her website and some of her stuff looks goods. I probably try something else of hers.

Dottie :)

Vickie Taylor said...

Hi Dottie,
Thanks for the kind words on "Blood Lust" in the BITE anthology. That story had been burning in my head a while and was a blast to write. I'm glad you liked it.

Vickie Taylor

Unknown said...

Hi Vickie!

OMG! Thanks for stopping by!!

I loved Blood Lust - sooo good! I wanted more of the story!

I'll be picking up more of your books, I really enjoyed the BITE anthology.

Dottie :)

Vickie Taylor said...

Dottie,

If you liked that one, you might check out another anthology I did called "Demon's Delight". I did an angel story in that one...but it's not quite your typical angel story.

My full-length paranormal romances may be getting kind of hard to find these days, as I had to take a break from writing due to real life issue (but I'm back writing full time now). So if you have trouble finding them and want to try a read, let me know at vickie.taylor@gte.net and I'll figure out a way to get something to you.

Love your reviews. I think I need to hire you to write my next synopsis!

Vickie

Unknown said...

Hi Vickie!

I will try to locate Demon's Delight tomorrow. I can't say enough good things about Blood Lust and I've encouraged my followers and friends to give BITE a try.

I'll continue to look for your novels to see if I can locate some. I've been looking, but so far no luck. If you would like anything reviewed, please let me know, I would be more than happy to do so. I may take you up on your offer if I am unable to find your books. I love the voice you use to write you words. So real.

LOL...I would love to write your synopsis...but I tend to get wordy. I know, I'm working on it.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Vickie

Just wanted add that I'm glad that you resumed writing. I happy to have your voice still being heard.

Sometimes real life has to be put before what we love and want to do, sometimes it's very necessary. It's great to have you back!

Dottie :)

Anonymous said...

[url=http://vioperdosas.net/][img]http://vioperdosas.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]for purchase of software, [url=http://sapresodas.net/]autocad standard toolbar[/url]
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]academic discount software[/url] children's educational software buy web design software
cheap school software [url=http://sapresodas.net/]cheap oem softwares[/url] microsoft office discount for teachers
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]educational software reviews[/url] price quote software
[url=http://sapresodas.net/]adobe photoshop cs4 extended full with serial torrent[/url] windows xp tricks
for selling a software [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]microsoft ftp software[/url][/b]

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Go ahead, leave a comment, you know you really want to!! ^~^

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2008-2011 Tink's Place All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP