Followers

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Crimson Romance

Crimson Romance
For the best in romance, from sweet to naughty!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reviewette: Bite Anthology --- The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death --- By Laurell K. Hamilton

Publisher: Jove Publishing / Penguin Group Publishing
Pages: 1 -32

From the Cover: Follow a vampire hunter who can be as deadly as her prey.

This story takes place between BLUE MOON and OBSIDIAN BUTTERFLY.

As Ms. MacKenzie sat weeping in Anita Blake's office at Animator's Inc., Anita wondered why she was here....Her arch enemy...the Human First leader Jeremy Ruebens was now sending her clientele from jail, how lovely. It would seem Ms. MacKenzie's daughter, Amy, was preparing to be turned. She was only seventeen, one year away from the legal limit. Anita is used to dealing with dead people, zombies and vampires, the living were so not in her job description.

Amy was only considering becoming a vampire because cancer was robbing her of her legs. Very important in a teenager's life, well important in anyone's life. Ms. MacKenzie wanted Anita to save Amy before death won over another eager participate. Was this Amy's choice to make or her mother's?

Danse Macabre is the starting point for information where Jean Claude rules as Master of the City. Only Jean Claude knew every vampire in the city, he was Amy's last chance at life, be it what it may be. Life wasn't promising for Amy. But, no luck, until Jean Claude contacts the Church of Eternal Life.

Malcolm, Deacon of the Church of Eternal Life, has agreed to deliver the vampire involved in the deed, unfortunately for Amy, not soon enough. It will cost this vampire his life.

When I was on SciFiGuy's site, he was doing quick little reviewettes for the anthology he was reviewing, "The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance" Edited by Trisha Telep. It looked fun, thought I'd give it a try.

The Girl Who Was....was very short, a very quick read. But you really need to have read the series until at least Blue Moon to understand it because the story is so short, not a lot of background information given, no space for it. It was a decent read and filled in some of the missing pieces between books.

(Here's another peek at Anita Blake with her vampire lover, Jean Claude, Master of the City)

14 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I do think I would be lost then since I know nothing of the back story.

Still fun reviewette, dunno of I have heard that one before :)

Ladytink_534 said...

I picked up this book when it first came out because of this story but it's because of the anthology that I discovered Charlaine Harris and MaryJanice Davidson!

Unknown said...

Hi Blodeuedd!

It is almost a must read of the previous books, there's just too little information given in the short story. It was a good little story, just very, very short. I picked it up because LKH was one of the authors, but there other stories in the anthology have more substance and better reading IMPO. Less background info needed.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ladytink!

I was more impressed with Charlaine Harris and Mary Janice Davidson's stories in this anthology. I picked it up because LKH was on the cover, but the other stories were better, IMPO. (especially MJ's -- I got a real tickling out of that one!)

I'm a long time fan of Charlaine and MJ, I think I've read all of their books. I'm looking forward to both of their new books that are coming out. The True Blood series of HBO is fun too (though it seems darker than Charlaine's books).

Dottie ;-)

VampFanGirl said...

Fantastic Reviewette Dottie!

"Reviewette" - I LOVE IT! LOL!

I haven't read any of the Anita Blake series so I was a bit lost. I hear a lot of conflicting responses to Anita Blake. Seems like a lot of love vs. hate.

Thank you for sharing!

:) VFG

Unknown said...

Hi VFG!

Anita Blake is a love or hate character (just like Laurell K Hamilton is a love/hate author). When I first started reading LKH, I thought Wow, this is good. Then, I read the Merry Gentry Series, and it was better. But, be forwarned, lots of explicit dialogue and sometimes, why out of proportion. Sometimes it should be left out. Very paranormal / urban fantasy.

It's a new take on vampires, zombies, shifters, and fae, no doubt.

Dottie :)

Blanche said...

Hi Dottie!

Great review......I've never read Laurell K. Hamilton before.

Lea said...

Great review Dottie!

I understood it perfectly because I read about the first 10 or 11 books in the Anita series.

Nice short "reviewette", of the story!

Warm Regards
L

Unknown said...

Hi Blanche!

Was missing you! Nice to see you back after Easter!

Like I said before, explicit language, and readers either love or hate the books. LKH doesn't do a lot of shorts. I just saw this one and decided to give it a try.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Lea!

I just thought I give the 'reviewette' thing a try. I liked how SciFiGuy did it.

To understand this short, reading the previous books are a must. There isn't any character introduction at all, so it would be very confusing.

Do you like the reviewette style?

I wasn't sure about it.

Dottie ;)

VampFanGirl said...

Hmm...maybe I'll try the Merry Gentry series. I'm always looking for a new twist on paranormal myths.

Thanks for the recommendation Dottie!

:) VFG

Unknown said...

Hi VFG!

If you try Merry Gentry...it's another very long series...one book leads to the next. Our local librarian recommended the series to me.

Merry is a fae princess trying to win the queen's crown. It's a interesting storyline with all kinds of fae, different species. Queen Anais is truly evil, she's been alive so long, she's forgotten how to 'act' like a human.

Dottie :)

SciFiGuy said...

Hey Dottie great to see you giving the reviewette format a try. Bite is an anthology with a stellar line-up. Like you I enjoyed the MJD and Harris stories the most but overall a solid collection.

Unknown said...

Hi Doug!

LKH, MJD, and Harris are personal favorites, but MJD and Harris shorts were the most fun. Angela Night and Vicki Taylor were good too, but they're first time reads for me. I'll have to try more of their books.

Dottie

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Go ahead, leave a comment, you know you really want to!! ^~^

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2008-2011 Tink's Place All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP