Followers

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Crimson Romance

Crimson Romance
For the best in romance, from sweet to naughty!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Necking by Chris Salvatore


I recently found a new author, Chris Salvatore. Her debut novel, Necking, was published in 2008. I know not many of you may have heard of this new entry into the genre, she is a publicist turned novelist and she giving her hand a try.



Publisher: Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group
Pages: 288

From the Cover: He Always Knew She Was Exactly His Type -- B Positive

Gia Felice has a Rolodex full of vampires, werewolves, witches, and aliens -- not to mention the livestock suppliers, undead-friendly hotels, and sleazy bars that cater to her clients' more carnal needs. Sometimes being the premier book publicist to the underworld can suck -- literally. Especially if you're human. Especially if you've got the hots for irresistible Johnny and his sly half smile that shows just a little fang.

Her best friend, Lola, a werewolf, can't talk any sense into her, and now Gia's agreed to help Belladonna Nightshade, a New York Times bestselling vampire author, find the supernatural killing machine who changed Bella centuries ago...if he doesn't find Gia first. Yesterday, Gia's biggest problem was how to get an alien with a metal skeleton through airport security. Today she's got a bloodthirsty boyfriend dying to get into her pants, and an evil, centuries-old vampire on the hunt for her. Who knew publicity was such a deadly business?

Gia is a publicist to the world of supernatural, the world that the average human has no idea that it truly exists. Her premier author writes vampire romance stories, but secret that her fans don't know is that she's actually a centuries old vampire. Belladonna Nightshade is that author turned by the ultimate bad guy, Daniel. And now she has a problem. She thinks that Daniel has killed her husband, and will be coming back for her, to try to claim what he rightfully sees as his. Belladonna's cousin, Johnny (who she turned on his death bed) helps keep the groupies and fans that all want a piece of Belladonna away. It would appear that everyone wants to be fanged. But the only person Johnny wants to get close to is Gia, and she's trying to stay unfanged. This fatal attraction breaks all the Gia's rules. The main rule being: To stay alive. To be with Johnny, she'd have to give up her life, it won't work any other way. After all, he is a vampire. The question remains, will she lose her head and give in to Johnny or will she keep her senses and her life?

Necking by Chris Salvatore is a decent attempt at a first novel. I've read a lot of vampire fiction from Bram Stokers to Twilight and this one had some very redeeming qualities, the tension between Gia and Johnny being one. Lola, Gia's best friend and werewolf, is another with her wit and humor. Gia tends to whine a little and has the poor me syndrome. As a heroine, her strongest point is that she's a publicist and she's not afraid to use it. Chris Salvatore's voice bring humor to the genre and laughter to the book. Johnny was a strong hero who is drawn to the one person who'd like to hang on to her life; he just wants to convince her otherwise. The ending fell a little flat for me by being wrapped up way to quickly. It wasn't a bad ending, but I would have enjoyed a better fight scene, more dramatic, and satisfying. After all, Daniel has been chasing Belladonna for centuries. It would have been nice to have him reach his full potential, drawing on powers and unknown strengths that should have frightened us all. How else did he stay alive all these centuries? If you'd like an entertaining fast read, this is a book for you. I'll certainly be looking for what comes next from this author. You can check out Chris Salvatore's website Here. If you'd like to peek inside the pages, click Here and browse.

14 comments:

SciFiGuy said...

I think I've seen this book in passing but never seen it reviewed. Your coverage makes it seem like a nice light read. THe title is great :)

Unknown said...

Hi Doug!

It was a nice light read, nothing too deep about this book. I love the title too, which is what attracted me in the first place.

Dottie :)

Eleni said...

Great review Dottie :) I never heard of this book I added to my wishlist :)

Unknown said...

Hi Eleni!

She's only published one book so far and I haven't read if she publishing another or when. I just happened across the book, and loved the cover. Had to peek in the pages.

Dottie :)

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Very interesting Dottie! Fast read... Honest review... Who can ask for more!
I did like the title and book line! That is enough to sell it to a person who loves to read vampire books! LOL!!!
I hope you had a great weekend!

Teddyree said...

I like the title "Necking" and this isn't one I've seen or heard of till now. Good review & thanks for the intro to another new author

Blodeuedd said...

Mornig Dottie,
Yes it does like and sound like a light read and I do appreciate that in a book. It sounds like something for me

Chris said...

I really enjoyed Necking and am waiting for Salvatore's next book!

Unknown said...

Hi Cecile!

It was a really fast read, I read it in one sitting. I do love vamps, lol! It was just my kind of book!

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Teddyree!

New author for me too, but I saw the book at Borders and had to pick it up, I had a coupon to use, and can't waste one of those, lol. It was a quick fun read, I enjoyed it.

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Blodeuedd!

If you're looking for a fun quick read, then this is a book to try.

I enjoyed it, but it was my fav subject, vampires. lol

Dottie :)

Unknown said...

Hi Chris!

Yay!! Someone else who has read Necking, I was wondering if I was the only one! I waiting for her next book, and I've been checking her site, but nothing there yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Dottie :)

Minding Spot said...

You have an award here:

http://mindingspot.blogspot.com/2009/09/friendship-bear-award.html

Congrats!

Unknown said...

Hi Wendy!

Thanks I love blog awards!!

Dottie :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Go ahead, leave a comment, you know you really want to!! ^~^

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2008-2011 Tink's Place All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP