Followers

Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Crimson Romance

Crimson Romance
For the best in romance, from sweet to naughty!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Gran Torino


SPOILER ALERT

This weekend my hubby and I saw Gran Torino, Clint Eastwood's new movie. It was great!! Definitely two thumbs up. I would have never thought I would cry at an Eastwood flick, but how was I to know he would have a heart, what with all the cowboy and cop movies (not that I haven't enjoyed every one of them). This movie was fantastic. Well, as long as you don't mind watching a not politically correct movie. It's a movie about an old white guy (Clint, I say this lovingly) who worked on the line at Ford Motors in Detroit, Michigan for 50 years. He was in the Korean War and scarred by the experience. He has no time, patience, or tolerance for people in general, but especially those not of the male white persuasion. Against all odds, he bonds with his Asian neighbors whom he calls many colorful metaphors and which I will not repeat. His neighborhood as become infested by an Asian gang. The movie starts out with the death of his wife and his disdain for his children and grandchildren who he views as sell-outs. They don't hold his values of hard work and Americanism. As the events unfold during the movie, he begins to understand his neighbors and bonds with young Tao and Sue. When gang violence rocks for neighborhood, he retaliates. This causes the gang to attack his neighbors and kidnap, beat, and rape Sue, those who they view as too scared or weak to protect themselves. Walt (Clint) makes his peace with God (who he hasn't always been on speaking terms with) and goes to face the gang. When he threatens their security, the members murder him with all of the neighbors, who have been too afraid to point them out to the cops, watching. There is no escape for the would-be gangsters now and Walt as atoned for his sins. As an after thought for his kids who just want his money and belongings, he leaves his house to the church and his prized 1972 Gran Torino to Tao, the Asian boy from next door. A fitting end to a great movie. I think I've seen every Clint Eastwood movie made, some are funny (a few), some are violent (a lot), and some try to explain life (several), but Gran Torino tries to accomplish all three. I laughed, I cried, I waited for blood shed, and finally I understood it's true meaning. It was worthy of the price of admission.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! Go ahead, leave a comment, you know you really want to!! ^~^

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2008-2011 Tink's Place All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP